Monday, September 13, 2010

An email from a ghost

couple

Exactly a month ago I received an email from a man in America. The email opened without salutation: the writer merely said that he loved my blog, and was passing it on to others, a statement guaranteed to make me feel warmly towards him, whoever he might be. He then went on to say ‘I need some information you might know something about’.

What, I wondered, might that be?

The next paragraph made my jaw drop: I was stunned.

‘My father's family was from Aivali. His father was a physician at the hospital there. Is there a way to find out where the Emmanouil Paraschos  (Εμμανουήλ Παράσχος) family lived until 1922?’

 

I live in a town full of ghosts. The Greeks who lived here until 1922 hover constantly at the edge of one’s vision, a shadow population peering from the empty windows of  ruined houses, and only ever glimpsed in the few photographs* that remain of life here a hundred years ago:  middle class couples, like the one above,  in a formal pose for the photographer, confident of their place in the world; families in their Sunday best ready to attend mass at the Greek Orthodox churches that now have minarets attached;

PapaKonstandios%20et%20al_1

children lining up in solemn-faced rows for school photographs;

8

and a young girl  in a white dress, gazing calmly into the future, unaware that her childhood was about to come to an end and that her adult life, if she survived the coming catastrophe, would be lived in another country:

mother&daughter

The disjunction between those sad spectres of the past and the town in which I live has always seemed complete; when I talk to people who live here now about their family backgrounds, they tell me that their grandparents and great grandparents came here from Salonika, or Mytilene, or Crete. There is literally no one in Ayvalik today whose ancestors were here before 1923. They are gone, lost to history, and can never come back.

Yet when I read the email from the professor in Boston, a man called Manny Paraschos  named, it seemed,  for his grandfather, it was as if someone had suddenly stepped straight out of one of those old photographs, waving, and shouting ‘Hey! We’re still here!’ 

I had received an email from a ghost.

When I started writing this blog, I imagined its possible readers as people like me: interested in, but largely ignorant of,  both modern Turkey and the many previous civilisations and empires which rose and fell, flourished and  faded, during the last 9,000 thousand years in Asia Minor. It simply never occurred to me that the blog would be read by anyone in the diaspora of Asia Minor Greeks.

I wrote back to the professor immediately, expressing my delight at making a connection to someone now living who had his roots in that lost world, and offering to help him in any way I could in the quest to identify his ancestral home. If he had no address for the Paraschos family house, as was implied by his question, then I would try to approach the problem from another angle: I knew that population censuses list the names of all the people living at any given address, so if there were any pre-1922 census records for Ayvalik still extant, I could search them to find any mention of the  name  ‘Paraschos’.

Another possibility might be the Property Records Office of the Ayvalik municipality. My own house was built in 1908, only 14 years before the Greeks left, so I imagined it might only ever have been occupied by one family, and I remembered a friend telling me that if I wanted to find out who used to live in my house, I might be able to do so at the Property Records Office, where the land registration deed should record the name of the house’s first owner. Without an address, it would be more difficult, but it was possible that the details from land deeds had been computerised, and one might be able to search by name, rather than address.

I outlined these possibilities, both of which  seemed to offer at least some slim chance of success, to Manny, and undertook to discuss the problem with a Turkish friend here, who has a strong interest in, and considerable knowledge of, local history. However, not wishing to get his hopes up too high, I added the following caveat: that many records had been destroyed during the cataclysmic events in Anatolia between 1919 and 1923, and that even if we could manage to find  the address where the Paraschos family lived, the house might be a ruin, or have disappeared completely and been replaced by a new building. I would do my best to help him find his family home, but  was, in truth, doubtful of a successful outcome.

Still, it was a fascinating quest, and I was determined to try. I arranged to have lunch the next day with the friend who might be able to advise me on my search, and bought a new notebook, on the basis that all great –or even small – enterprises should begin with a new notebook and a Pilot pen with a very, very fine point.

Project Paraschos was now officially underway.

(to be continued)

moschonisi-family5

* Please note that these photographs of  Greek families in Ayvalik before 1922, from publicly available sources, are not of the Paraschos family.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds fascinating. If you found the house and it turned out to be unoccupied/abandoned, would Mr Paraschos have a claim to it? It would be another interesting development, wouldn't it, if descendents of the outcasts began to return.

    On another note, when I was writing my last post, I was thinking of you - I'm sure you would have some good suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think under the Treaty of Lausanne all those people 'exchanged' between Turkey and Greece, gave up all property rights to what they had left behind in their country of origin when they became citizens of the 'othe state. The abandoned houses initially became the property of the Turkish government, and then ownership passed to the incoming refugees from Greece, who had in turn left behind all their property when they were forced to migrate to Turkey.

    Many have changed hands several times since then. The original owners thus have no legal claim on the properties, and their descendants, who are all citizens of states other than Turkey, would not, as foreigners, be able to buy back these houses, as foreigners are currently banned from buying buildings of historical and/or cultural importance in Turkey.

    There are ways round that law, but whether the descendants of the original owners would actually want to come back, after several generations, is another question, something I'm going to discuss later on in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The point about a new notebook and pen is an extremely pertinent one.

    This should keep you busy for awhile, nice one. I really hope you find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write beautifully!
    Hmm.. But when I first chanced upon your blog, I didn't quite understand your 2 most recent posts - "An Email from A Ghost". Is it really from a ghost? Or are you just using using personificaion?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anonymous

    thank you so much for your comment -I'm very glad that you like the blog.

    What I meant by saying 'An email from a ghost' is that this town is full of the ghosts of the Ottoman Greeks who had to leave here nearly 90 years ago. Sometimes they seem very real, but they are ghosts: the Greeks who left are almost all dead now, and can never come back,and the only traces of them are in the abandoned buildings, and a few old photographs. None of the people who live here now have any connection to them.

    But when I received an email from the grandson of the one of those people who left here 90 years ago, it was like hearing from one of the long dead people who look out of the old photographs. It seemed like a very direct connection to the lost world of the Asia Minor Greeks, and in that sense it did seem, very much, like an email from a ghost, and from that world.

    I hope that clarifies it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So myself as a Canadian citizen cannot buy a home there ?

    ReplyDelete