Sunday, June 6, 2010

The truth about cats and dogs...

I awake to the realisation that I left the kitchen door open last night and that not one, but two, feral cats are in the house.

Shortly afterwards Freddie, my dog, realises this too.



There are breakages.

For does not an old Turkish proverb say: 'A terrified cat will always choose to rampage through a tray of wine glasses rather than head for the door standing wide open'?

After several minutes of extreme havoc and a considerable amount of collateral damage, the feral cats are ejected. I sweep up all the broken glass, feed the dog and yowling resident cats, and take a cup of coffee into the courtyard to sit awhile and regain my equilibrium.


I sink gratefully into the Lloyd loom garden chair and raise the mug of coffee to my lips, but even as I finally take the first sip of coffee of the day, a loud clacking noise starts coming from inside the camel barn. I sigh, knowing what the noise is. My cat Ollie is sitting inside the camel barn, batting the door of the cat flap back and forth with his paw. CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! goes the door. He will continue doing this until I get up, walk over to the camel barn doors, and lift up the cat flap door from the outside, thus allowing him unimpeded egress from the camel barn into the courtyard.



Ollie is 15, very old in cat years, and I indulge him in this practice on the grounds that he may be going senile and have forgotten how to use the cat flap. The possibility remains, however, that he simply sees no necessity to bother with pushing his way through the cat flap when an indentured servant is available to do it for him. I strongly suspect that he manages to get through that door perfectly well on his own when I am not in the vicinity.

With Ollie ushered safely through the cat flap I manage, finally, to drink a few sips of coffee and sit back in my chair, enjoying the scent of the jasmine growing up the courtyard wall.

Then two things happen simultaneously: Ollie strolls over to the flower bed in which the jasmine is planted, just next to where I am sitting, and defecates neatly, and copiously, right in the middle of it. The scent of the jasmine is immediately replaced by something infinitely less pleasant. Meanwhile, Freddie begins to exacavate, with enormous, earth-spattering enthusiasm, the large terracotta pot in which I have recently planted some not particularly robust geraniums.

Once I have disposed of Ollie's little gift and swept up the earth and broken flowers, I bow to the inevitable and decide to take Freddie for a long walk to dissipate some of his energy. As I re-enter the house via the camel barn, in which I will be entertaining some friends for dinner this evening, I notice a very strong odour of Eau du Feral Cat, a souvenir of last night's uninvited guests. When a cat sprays the smell is both disgusting and extremely difficult to eradicate. At this point it becomes necessary, for the sake of my mental health, to move into a state of extreme denial, and I decide to think about this problem later.

Freddie and I set off on our walk, and make our way up to the pine woods with only two motorcycle-chasing incidents (not bad going), and no one moved to throw anything at Freddie or me because they don't like dogs (also good). The day is looking up. We continue to climb and, after an hour or so, get to the high point of the walk, where there is an extraordinarily beautiful view over the Aegean and the islands of the Ayvalik archipelago, shown here in a photo taken last week:




At this very moment, however, as Freddie sits on the ground panting happily and I, gazing at the view, am struck anew by the incredible beauty of this place, the electrical storm which has been threatening for several days finally arrives, with thunder, spectacular lightning effects and torrential rain. We are some distance from any form of shelter, and within minutes I am soaked to the skin. I sit down on the wet ground next to my big, wet dog, give him a big, wet hug and, huddled together, we sit and watch the sheet lightning illuminate the sky over the sea.

11 comments:

  1. lm*F*ao..

    The way you punctuate your story with photos at key points of despair/relief makes me particularly want to piss myself...

    "..and defecates neatly, and copiously, right in the middle of it. -- priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's clear to me that cat is having you on! Also, Ollie probably invited the feral cats in. And taught Freddy to dig out the geranium. Cats aside, how utterly beautiful your life seems! Please enjoy it for those of us still in not quite as pretty Ankara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tale! I do hope your dinner party that night went well, and that you got back home safely after the storm.

    Poppy xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonja - wait till you get here in August, hocam- WE'LL SEE WHO'S LAUGHING THEN..

    Sandrine - hi, it's lovely to hear from you. I think it's fair to say that I miss very little about Ankara, except teaching 241 & 242. No one here is very interested in Aristotle. Talking of whom, are you coming to Assos this year?

    Poppy - All is well, thanks, & I plied people with wine to distract their attention from the slight residual whiffiness of the camel barn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect Ollie is trying to tell you that you have upset The Order of Things by having a camel barn with no camel in it. This should be simple enough to fix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DHM - I desperately want to buy a share in a top notch, handsome & very friendly fighting camel of my acquaintance, called Utku. Unfortunately, it seems that fighting camels are nearly as expensive to run as racehorses, but I live in hope. Maybe they'd let me pay in instalments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see how a fighting camel might command a premium price in Turkey. Could you bring yourself to switch affections to a more affordable mildly disputatious camel instead?

    http://www.kigu.bigcartel.com/ also seems to be sans camel, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart belongs to Utku. There can be no other camel for me.

    Those animal pyjamas with FACES are really quite scary. I can imagine people carrying out armed robberies wearing them. Why just wear a balaclava helmet when you can wear top to toe animal chic & disguise yourself as a penguin?

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me the true horror of those animal pyjamas is the certainty that somewhere out there are…I can hardly bring myself to type the words…somewhere out there are couples with matching sets…

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a horrific possibility which hadn't, happily, occurred to me. Until now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Or should it be AN horrific possibility? Those kind of 'ans' always sound a bit forced, to me.

    ReplyDelete